Thursday, 12 November 2009

Flaming Lips, The Troxy, 11/11/2009

As Wayne himself put it, I haven't smiled as much at a gig in a long time, perhaps since I first saw them play (just before radiohead) at Glastonbury, now 6 years ago (I feel old as I typed that)! The new material (Evil, Convinced of the Hex) had a trance-like feel, which played off against the more poppy hits such as 'Yoshimi', 'The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song' and 'Do You Realize?". He thanked the UK for the start of the Lip's mainstream success back in the late 1990s and was thankful to play in a weird art deco bingo hall, and was impressed with the gusto of the venue's former patrons- older bingo players who quit the place, when the smoking ban was introduced. I had completely forgotten the band got fans to go on stage with them and dressed up them in surreal outfits. I remember at Glastonbury they had giant sun costumes which instead of just fans, apparently had other bands in, a member of Radiohead was rumoured (probably unlikely!), as were some actors, on this night they looked like they were having the time of their lives.
www.myspace.com/flaminglips

No comments: